Making Ultimatums to God

Ecclesiastes 5:4-7 NASB 

4 When you make a vow to God, do not be late in paying it; for He takes no delight in fools. Pay what you vow! 5 It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay. 6 Do not let your speech cause you to sin and do not say in the presence of the messenger of God that it was a mistake. Why should God be angry on account of your voice and destroy the work of your hands? 7 For in many dreams and in many words there is emptiness. Rather, fear God.

Oftentimes, I've heard people beg God for a favor or wish, "God, if you grant me this one thing, I'll go to church every Sunday for the rest of my life." 

Some even feel the need to demand ultimatums, " God, if you save her, I'll know you really do exist."

The first statement, is downright silly (can you picture God rolling His eyes). You have no way of knowing from week to week what life will bring. Therefore, that statement is invalid. The second statement demands God to prove Himself and His ability. This gives the human power over God--which will never happen.

Neither of these statements please God. Who are we that we should attempt to usurp God' power? If one of my children said the first statement to me, I'd go  out of my way not to make sure this wish didn't happen. My kids know not to test me. On the other hand, if one made the second statement to me, I'd be hurt emotionally if I could not fulfill the ultimatum, and terrified our relationship would suffer unrepairable damage.

If I would react with anger and distress over empty threats from my children, then how do you think God feels when we make outrageous demands? We are, after all, created in His image. He sees the overview of our life--from beginning to end, we only see what's in front of us. God knows what we need and don't need. We should have nothing but complete faith in Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Sharing With Others

Value of Friends

Money Brings Problems