Rest on God

Ecclesiastes 1:1-11 (NLT)
These are the words of the Teacher, King David's son, who ruled in Jerusalem.
Everything Is Meaningless
2 "Everything is meaningless," says the Teacher (or modern man), "utterly meaningless!"
3 What do people get for all their hard work? 4 Generations come and go, but nothing really changes. 5 The sun rises and sets and hurries around to rise again. 6 The wind blows south and north, here and there, twisting back and forth, getting nowhere. 7 The rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full. Then the water returns again to the rivers and flows again to the sea. 8 Everything is so weary and tiresome! No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content.
9 History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new. 10 What can you point to that is new? How do you know it didn't already exist long ago? 11 We don't remember what happened in those former times. And in future generations, no one will remember what we are doing now.

These words could have been written today instead of King Solomon. I can see a morning commuter trapped in snarled traffic reciting these words. I don't think I've ever felt modern day man represented so well in Scripture.

So many feel trapped by life. It's as if they are running on a hamster wheel. They have worked so hard to make that wheel spin, and when they jump off, thereis nothing to show for their effort. The wheel simply stops.

Many times, I have felt like I'm running on the hamster wheel. I wonder if what I'm doing is actually worth anything at all. In my heart, I know what I'm doing is making an impact even if I don't see the results.

I pray that you will join me as I look at Eccelsiastes to discover how we should rest in God instead of on our own laurels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Sharing With Others

Value of Friends

Money Brings Problems